Thursday, March 6, 2008

Entitleists

This is a word that my husband made up - the definition is: Those who feel that they are entitled to something or that the rules don't apply to them. I have many examples of this but let me tell you the most resent encounter with an "entitleist".

I take the Metrolink train to school two days a week. I get to the station about 7:40 am and I don't return until 7:30 pm. When I get back all I want to do is get in my car and go home. Last night I arrived at my home station on time and when I got to my car I was blocked in. I mean "illegally parked" blocked in. Well I looked around thinking there is someone who is picking someone up and they will be back in a moment. After waiting about 10 minutes I honked my horn. I looked around and there was one man on the train platform but he looked right at me and continued walking back and forth so I thought he must be waiting for a train. The next thing I do is call my husband and asked if I should call the police. He said yes. I called the non-emergency number and talked with an officer who was very helpful and said he would send someone out.

I decide to honk the horn a few more times. Well guess what? Train platform guy ambles down with his hands in his pockets and looks around. I asked if it was his car and he flippantly replied "Yeah". I said "You are blocking me in and I have called the police and they are coming to tow you." Well, he took his time, got in his car, never said "Oh I'm sorry" or "kiss my $?#" or anything.

This is a perfect example of an entitleist. Do you have any tales of encounters with entitleists?

5 comments:

Angela Apple said...

OMG!

I'm speechless.

Literally, I wish I had a speech and I don't.

Can I just say that's SO wrong?

Miss Bliss said...

This is the shit that is driving people to violence. I swear...

LP Sutton said...

Ugh. Some people.

There's a family down the block from me in Boston who has an old German shepherd that can barely walk. They have no yard, so when the dog needs to go out, they just prop open their front door. The dog hobbles down the steps, shits on the sidewalk, takes two sniffs, and hobbles back up. The people never clean up after him. Do they really think they get a pass just because the dog's old? I'm tempted to bag the shit myself and leave it in a great big heap on their doorstep.

Anonymous said...

Whenever we see something like that, we say, "Oh, you don't mean the rules apply to me, do you?"
It was like the time someone parked in OUR DRIVEWAY! Our crazy neighbor told her it was okay. Crazy. Neighbor. Our. Driveway.
sheesh on them.

Unknown said...

Hahaha. I deal with those people every day at work. They call in and say something like "Is my trash going to be picked up today?" and we say "no, the trash will be a day late this week because Monday was a holiday." "But, I live in the Hollywood Riviera." Gee, uh... I think that is still considered Torrance to most folks, especially the ones who pick up your trash!! What's really scary is, those people can vote, too.